“The influence of the Beat Bangaz as a collective and individually cannot be measured across the African hip hop landscape. Pioneers in the field of Hip Hop DJing, radio and television programming, youth developmental work – the dents they cause within and outside the South African entertainment and musical spectrum will be felt for years to come” Dr. Adam Haupt, Senior Lecturer Film & Media Studies – UCT
As a collective and individually the Beat Bangaz boasts with careers that spans more than two decades within the field of hip hop and DJ’ing. The pioneering African DJ collective was it’s roots within the Cape Town hip hop culture that emerged in the early 80’s and the group has officially formed in 1999 after Ready D’s successful career as a battle DJ competing in the prestigious Technics DMC’s locally and abroad in the US, London and France. The crew consist out of DJ E-20 – DJ Ready D & DJ Azuhl
The philosophy behind forming the crew was to make a statement against gang violence on The Cape Flats seeing that they are from those communities – instead of gang banging – they bang beats, hence the name – Cape Flatz Beatbangaz.
Beat Bangaz are a multi genre DJ crew though they have individual tastes and deck wrecking skills. Combining these qualities are the ingredients for a longstanding collective. Seeing the three Mix, Scratch and work together as a unit gives the live audience a unique visual and audio experience. Deeply rooted in Hip Hop culture gives the crew the opportunity to easily cross music genres during sets – taking the audience on a non stop music journey. The trio have have worked closely with Prophets of the City and Brasse Vannie Kaap affording them the opportunity to exhibit their skills on international stages with a track record consolidated in international tours, SA and African Tours, Radio, Television, Clubs, Music production, Mixtapes, Live Bands, Seminars, Expo’s and workshops.
Mobi-site with DJ tutorials now available at mobi.beatbangaz.co.za
Career highlights include:
• Redbull Music Academy, South African Music Conference, Breathe Sunshine Music Conference, Redbull BC One, Oppikoppie Festival, Flux Festival, KKNK, HYPE Awards, Rand Easter Show with numerous club, television, corporate and community performances and appearances.
• Producers, content advisors, presenters for South African television shows like Mzansi Rides, Deck Tales (Channel O) & HIP HOP (MK89).
• They were at the forefront of breaking new ground by doing the first Hip Hop mixtape that was circulated via Hype Magazine, South Africa’s leading Hip Hop publication.
• Owners of The Scratchlab DJ Training Facility in partnership with SAE based in Cape Town where they focus on multiple aspects of the DJ industry & DJ training.
• The Beatbangaz have a regular radio slot providing The Ready D Show on Good Hope FM with South African Hip Hop Mixes.
• Numerous NGO initiatives & partnerships with local and international organizations like BaobabConnections (Holland), EOTO (Germany), City of Cape Town, Amaphiko, HHESA (Hip Hop Education South Africa) & more.
• Beat Bangaz recently launched Africa’s first mobi site dedicated to DJ tutorials that can be downloaded for free.
• Currently The Beatbangaz are working on their first studio produced album.